This is the fifth post in a series titled “Customer Experience IS Team Member Experience.”
As this post’s name implies, there are many best practices when it comes to increasing employee engagement (EE). For our purposes, I’ll stick with evidence-based approaches (those that show reliable and replicable results) featuring 10 employee engaging activities this week and 10 more to close out the series next week.
- Provide regular, constructive, and growth-oriented feedback to your employees.
- Ensure employees have a line of sight between what they do and the impact of their work; particularly, as their work supports your company’s overarching mission.
- Develop mentoring programs and social support networks.
- Look for ways to give team members some control over how they complete projects.
- Create a safe environment for employees to give input on their experience at work.
- In addition to considering job skills, select individuals who will fit well with your culture and organizational values.
- Create career paths and stretch opportunities that help team members learn and grow.
- Automate repetitive and mind-numbing tasks.
- Review the employee journey to identify and remove pain points.
- Train leaders on skills needed to drive workplace engagement.
For this week’s challenge question, please identify your strength and opportunity areas as it relates to these 10 engagement best practices.
Do you have strengths or opportunities when it comes to offering employee feedback, connecting work to your mission, providing mentoring or support programs, creating safe ways to solicit team member input, selecting team members who fit your culture, creating autonomy, automating tasks, removing pain points in the employee journey, and training leaders to drive engagement?
Next week, we will close out this series with more best practices. Until then, I hope you’ll schedule a time to talk about employee engagement and your internal customer experience.
Have a great week, and let’s drive employee engagement which in turn leads to loyalty-building customer experiences.